COVID-19 Tips: Effective ways to stay safe while grocery shopping
In the midst of a lockdown and shelter-at-home scenario, we find that many of us are still confused with the measures we need to take when stepping out to buy groceries and other essential items. What should you do to stay safe when you’re out of home, or what should you do to further protect yourself once you’re back home from the store? One very important thing to do is to be alert and take preventive measures. Here are a few precautions and tips that can help you hail through grocery shopping in the most socially practical and safe way possible –
Inside the store:
- 1. Try to maintain a safe distance of at least 6 ft. between yourself and other shoppers. Certain stores limit the number of people inside the store and also have markings outside to help the shoppers maintain safe distance. Ensure you help other shoppers to adhere to these precautionary measures or your own safety as well as others.
- 2. Carry disinfectant wipes to clean out your cart or basket handles before and after use. Try to carry your own bags in order to avoid any contact with store essentials.
- 3. If you are wearing gloves, make sure you throw them out once you leave the store without touching any other surfaces.
- 4. Most importantly, make sure you’re wearing a cloth mask inside the store or while interacting with staff, and avoid touching your face as much as possible.
- 5. Try to step out for grocery shopping during early hours to avoid crowded spaces.
- 1. First things first, as soon as you enter the house, head straight to the restroom and wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- 2. Leave your grocery bags on the floor for a couple of hours before you unpack them.
- 3. Don’t aggravate the situation by washing each and every item with soap and water, or spraying disinfectant on it. You could in fact end up contaminating the items instead.
- 4. Run your fruits and vegetables under water and set it aside. As for cereal boxes and other packaged items, you can simply put it in its place after leaving it out for a couple of hours.
- 5. The most important step is to wash your hands with soap after unpacking your groceries, and wiping down your countertops.
Another great way to ensure safe shopping in the current circumstances is by opting for no-interaction home deliveries and drop-offs. In this instance, make sure you let the groceries sit out for a couple of hours before you unpack it.
Keep an eye out for the safety measures undertaken by your housing premises in order to be fully aware of your safety and those around you. Practicing at-home safety and social distancing is the only way forward. You can, too, undertake practical measures to ensure the safety of everyone around you when you step out for grocery shopping.